EPCOT’s Avengers Revealed! (And Minor Whinings)
Of all the years that have gone by and all the times that have been spent at WDW, the question that most often comes up is ‘don’t ya ever get tired of it’? The answer to that is ‘no’, but I will admit to a trial separation period when I moved back to NYC from Orlando and returning to my second home at The Diz for a few days brought all the nagging feelings of why I left.
So, no, I don’t ever get tired of it – talking about it, visiting it, experiencing it – but there are times that I shake my fists to the skies and yell ‘WHY’! Most of them are borderline ridiculous, some of them are completely unreasonable, some of them are nostalgia based, and none of them have to do with money (that’s a separate argument).
Here within a partial list:
– The Sorcerer Mickey hat that blocks the Chinese Theater. A big bone of contention for many, a Walt Disney World icon in the style of Spaceship Earth to a new generation. The home of the Great Movie Ride has been blocked since 2001 thus disrupting the thematic awesomeness that is Hollywood Boulevard (slash Sunset Blvd.). The reasons for this blockage range from myth to urban legend to corporate jargon, but the fact of the matter is ‘the theme is the thing’ to me and if Sorcerer Mickey is going to be the ‘weenie’ then please alter the surrounding area so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
– While I’m here, what has happened to The Great Movie Ride? Is it the lack of updates? The lack of tweaks and fixes? The energy/flow of the show? The fact that John Wayne, Jimmy Cagney, and Gene Kelly are barely known to the ‘Twilight’ audience? There was always the rumors of this attraction being changed towards a Villains theme – and this goes back years. It saddens me how tired this ride has become because all of the Dillos used to love it so well.
– Why didn’t they turn Discovery Island into the Island from ‘LOST’?!??!?!!
– Why is there never a Classic Illuminations show on the World Showcase Lagoon (and brought to you by GE… GE is light.)? I haven’t seen Illuminations in years, but if they told me that they were bringing back Beethoven’s 5th and ‘Funiculi Funicula’ and the 1812 Overture, I would fly down that day. I dare say I have not seen Illuminations in a decade.
– Can someone explain the trees and vines and leaves and over-abundance of foliage that engulfs me as I enter the Animal Kingdom? My visits there have been few and far between and it’s because I don’t feel like I am in a Disney Park until I get to the Tree of Life. I get it, it’s ‘Natazuh’, it’s a jungle motif, but when I go through the turnstiles/entrance of anything Diz, I want to ‘feel it’ because that’s what they sell so well… Main Street – feel it, Future World – feel it, Hollywood Boulevard – feel it, Any Diz Hotel Lobby – feel it, Animal Kingdom – nothin’.
– This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the first ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ movie. I know the Magic Kingdom/Adventureland is the attraction’s home, but why the Studio Backlot of MGM/Hollywood Studios was bulldozed for the Lights! Camera! Action! Stunt Show instead of a way huge piratical experience is beyond me. I’m sure they were on course with the plans for ‘Lights’ in ’03, but come one! Follow the compass!
– I haven’t partaken as of yet, but I have heard of the menu changes at Beaches & Cream at Disney’s Beach Club Resort and the reviews are not good. I’m concerned that my goto ‘must eat’ place has lost its way.
– More queues for character greetings and less walkarounds – kills me (this one is personal).
– Why is there not more WALL-E in the Parks? I want WALL-E, Figment, Dreamfinder, Hooter from Captain EO, and SMRT-1 to be ‘The Avengers of EPCOT’… and if you put that Duffy Bear in that group I will lose my mind!
Can you imagine the t-shirts. If we can have Disney Favorites & Muppets dressed as ‘Star Wars’ characters to sell as toys – ‘EPCOT’s Avengers’ is a T-Shirt I would buy!
In closing, it’s time for lunch – here’s a pic of my favorite Diz meal ever – as single cheesburger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake from Beaches & Cream, taken on my 35th Birthday. May you be restored to greatness!